This time of year, families start to take their holiday décor out of storage. Tablecloths in particular are something that we tend to spend a little extra money on, and want to keep looking perfect throughout the holiday season. It is important to properly preserve your tablecloth to keep it looking as though it is brand new each year.
Here are 5 tips on how to care for your tablecloth:
- Don’t Let Stains Sit Too Long: You can often remove minor stains with some grease-fighting dish soap and a soft brush. If this doesn’t work, bring your tablecloth to Dependable Cleaners as soon as possible and inform the customer service representative of how you pre-treated the stain.
- Wash: If the tablecloth is stain-free and only needs to be washed, follow the care instructions and use your washing machine for maintenance cleaning. Set the machine to warm, place the tablecloth in when the tank is halfway full. Added Tip: Using household detergents can sometimes cause more problems, so wash your tablecloth with warm water alone.
- Dry: After the stain-free table cloth is washed, refrain from using your machine for drying. Place it on a flat surface or hang it outside to air dry.
- Starch & Press: Once you have cleaned and dried your table cloth and it’s done for the season, we highly recommend starching and pressing it before you store it. You can do this process at home by adding starch to the machine during the rinse cycle and using an old-fashioned iron.
- Store: Once the tablecloth is properly pressed, you can store the tablecloth. Make sure it’s folded nice and neat and then store it in your linen closet. When storing your linens you want to make sure that you are using a location that is well ventilated and avoid using such things as cedar chests, cardboard boxes, and plastic bags.
But why go through all that hassle when you could have your tablecloths professionally cleaned, dried, starched and pressed by the experts at Dependable Cleaners. We can keep them looking brand new for all your special occasions.